Sunday 24 January 2010

A day of roast...

...but not much rest.

As a child, we had Sunday dinner, well, every Sunday. Nothing fancy, maybe a joint of meat rather than the chops that accompanied the potatoes and vegetables on most other days of the week.

It was never a big deal. No cookery books were consulted, no TV chefs proffered advice on a nightly basis and the vegetables were usually on the boil the Wednesday before.

But now I'm all grown up with a house and children of my own and we rarely have a traditional Sunday roast so, when I make one as a special request, it really is a BIG DEAL.


The chicken has a lemon stuck up its backside as recommended by Nigella, the roast potatoes are suitably crunchified thanks to Delia and the sprouts, get me, are homegrown.


And it was delicious. We should do this more often I think and then...
...I see the sink full of dirty pans and I realise that I'm still wearing the sweaty kit I went running in hours ago - hardly the picture of glamorous domesticity. Maybe next week we'll eat out instead!

1 comment:

  1. I love making roast dinners, but agree about the sheer volume of washing up. That and the fact I live with a veggie means that its only about once a year (ie. Christmas!) that I get around to roasting meat!

    ReplyDelete