Sunday 28 February 2010

Season's Eatings

Although I'm not a fan of February in all its greyness there are certain things which, when they appear, always brighten my mood.

So, when I diverted through town on my way home from a run yesterday morning and saw forced rhubarb on one of the market stalls I just knew I had to come straight back and buy some. We were having friends round for tea and it was crying out to be made into the perfect pudding.

Slowly stewed in the oven and mixed with whipped cream it made a delicious rhubarb fool which I served up with homemade shortbread biscuits.

Anyway, whilst I was anxiously queuing to purchase my rhubarb before anybody else snapped it up, I saw this other delightful seasonal treat:

Purple sprouting broccoli - one of my all time favourite vegetables. It looked so pretty that I was tempted just to put it in a vase on the table, but greed prevailed so I steamed it and served it up as the star accompaniment to a slow-cooked beef casserole and mashed potatoes.
'Twas all well received by my visitors, even their 4-year old son (and we all know 4-year olds can be the fiercest critics) and, as an added bonus to an enjoyable evening with good friends, they had bought me a belated birthday gift: some garden incense (for when we can finally sit outside again), a mug depicting a small obsession of mine and...

...my first ever thing from Cath Kidston. A lovely, bright tea towel to take the drudgery out of doing the dishes. I am a very luck girl indeed.

1 comment:

  1. rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb :D

    This is the first time in many years that I won't be seeing my parents at the start of rhubarb season so can't attack their garden for a supply - luckily there's a farmer's market near us next weekend!

    (and a very happy birthday too, belated though it is)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete